- Share the Air
Everyone who wishes to share has an opportunity to do so. No one person should monopolize the group time.
- One person speaks at a time
Each person should be allowed to speak free from interruption and side conversations.
- What is said here stays here
This is the essential principle of confidentiality and MUST be respected by all.
- Differences of opinion are OK
We are ALL entitled to our own point of view.
- We are all equal
We accept cultural, linguistic, social, and racial differences and promote their acceptance.
- Use “I” language
Because we do not participate in discussion groups as credentialed professionals, NO ONE CAN INSTRUCT. We can share from our own personal experiences. We can say: “when I was faced with a similar problem, I…” Always put things in the context of our own experiences. We cannot say – “you should do X.”
- We avoid the following topics as they may unintentionally harm some participants: politics, graphic sexual themes, suicidal methods, and details of traumatic events.
- It’s OK not to share
People do not have to share if they do not wish to. Much can be gained by just listening.
- PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE while attending an online group meeting:
This is to obey the laws of the road and also not to be a distraction to the driver or the group, and to stay safe.